Skip to main content

Lotus & One Hundred Eyes - Love, love, love




What does love look like?

Well, there are as many answers to that question as there are blades of grass on a footy oval but let’s look at one answer that I found while watching Marco Polo a stunning Netflix series.

Our two lovers in this example are the characters Lotus ( Michele Yeoh ) and One Hundred eyes        ( Tom Wu ) the scene I’d like to draw your attention to is a unique and poignant one.

One Hundred eyes who is blind but in the tradition of the Martial Arts genre shows few, if any signs of blindness, able to move about, fight with unmatchable prowess, and perceive that which the eyes almost always miss.

Through selfless and selfish acts on both their parts, these two lovers are separated, though the love between them only grows stronger.
Suddenly their obits realign and Lotus finds One Hundred Eyes, the lover she thought was lost to her,  working out in his Dojo. Lotus watches from the shadows, being careful not to make a sound.
As she moves out from the shadows a single tear falls and One Hundred Eyes knows he is not alone.

Being a highly skilled martial artist herself Lotus cannot resist the opportunity to get closer to her long lost love, she stealthily moves closer & closer shadowing his every move and with every strike & block he employs she moves in until the breadth of a hair is all that separates them, their movements in perfect sync …. 

It is that synchrony that One Hundred Eyes perceives, the balance that can be achieved with only one other person that he has ever known but she evades his touch stays just outside his reach…
Each attempted parry & thrust finds nothing but air but still, he knows she’s there!

And then she’s gone.

It’s mournful, torturous and at the same time glorious and exciting and heartbreaking.

This time we are living through as Americans has a lot in common with this scene and may teach us something about how we are, with... to... each other.

Will we forever be like these separated lovers?

Maybe not but we should at least try to acknowledge that we are in some sort of relationship, and that requires that we work on it and as of the time of this writing we have done precious little of that.

People that want love, a society that wants love behaves in a way that unashamedly walks toward that goal and sadly we have not ever behaved in that way, as a people, even though we have had many examples shown to us throughout our history. 
We sometimes forget all the ways we have been shown to express that pure emotion we call love but we shouldn’t, it is that connection or should I say the lack of connection that is the thing that we have lost sight of …
As good a slogan as it is I don’t think what we need is “ to make America great again”
Am I saying something so incredibly trite as “all we need is love “?
Well, maybe it is what we need!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does there have to be a racial component?

Why does their have to be a racial component to everything? People in Louisiana are suffering & dying, what the hell difference does it make what colour they are. If we could agree that ALL people are the same not in legislation but in our hearts life would be much better. Yes… simplistic I know but if it is… then why have we not done it?

A Decidedly Black Post- (advice for young lifers! ) part 1 of an exclusive 1,000,000 part Series

That's it friends, . I've finally flipped it! I'm going to keep writing on my favourite subject "Why humans (myself included) are so damn stupid", for a million posts or until the world's problems are solved... or fail to do so! and then... I'm going over to my window, to slide it open and shout... "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore! I've had enough of these life sucking idiots constantly assaulting me with their half-baked ideas about how the world is shaped, conveniently over looking the very basic fact that we should be shaping our world and we would if we could get up off our big fat asses for more than 5 minutes to get involved I can no longer take the endless waste and the resistance to truth that the way we live has brought. So whatcha you gonna do about it ... Mr. Schmarty, pants? well... glad You asked! First we gotta go way back... to take a look at all the crap we refused to give proper c

Are we so different?

When I started this blog my intent was to make a case for our sameness as a race... to highlight the falseness of the spaces that separate us. I wanted to simply say to all the people on this planet ( My Family) that it is much wiser to get together than it is to continue down the road killing everyone we see for arbitrary reasons of our own creation. Now don't get me wrong... I am not the salt of the earth, not filled with the milk of human kindness, nor am I the guy that would be described as one that would give you the shirt off his back. I am a simple realist... It is simply "bad for business" to hate, and in my humble opinion quite simple-minded. When I was young and still forming, the impulse to go along with the crowd just was not in me I don't know why. When I left my home to play or go to school it was always an adventure (it still is) I wanted to meet people... in my neighborhood, town, country, world... and as my circle got larger I realized that it was har