Skip to main content

The Negro travelers' Green Book Guide to Travel & Vacations




It is quite shocking to me that I have never heard of "The Negro travellers' Green Book Guide to travel & vacations" If you are as unaware as I was I'll let you know what it's all about ...
This, I can only imagine, indispensable book points a safe route to travel in segregated America, it lists hotels, gas stations tailors, restaurants that would serve blacks in those dark days of segregation, so that if you were fortunate enough to be able to travel it could give you at least some hope of surviving America as it was then.
This book must have been a must have for every band traveling Jim Crow America so every tour manager, bus driver, booking agent & more MUST have known about it and it was a published for 30 years ... let me say that again 30 YEARS! and yet it is not common knowledge how can this be ?
Now, hear me clearly I'm not saying that it should be known to simply point out another injustice inflicted upon blacks that is a valid point to be sure but let's take a look at the other points that might make this an incredibly interesting topic for radio, television, and print ( and not only during black history month)
1. somehow in 1936 Victor H. Green found a way to compile and get published the first edition!
2. This book WITHOUT DOUBT saved countless lives by pointing a safe route of travel
3. It was printed for THIRTY YEARS!
4. Victor Green used his contacts in the postal service to compile his list of safe havens for the African American Traveler.
5. It was printed for THIRTY YEARS!


Printed on its cover were the words: Carry your "Green Book" with you, You may need it.
It must have been widely known & widely used so ... what happened?
Why did the knowledge of this book and Victor H. Green fade away into the mists of time?
The answer may not be as obvious as you think... after all in this case the bulk of the information was and is being held in "the community", my own mother, who lived through those times and spent some part of her life in the south must have come across it not to mention uncles, aunts Grandparents, friends, relatives...
so ...
I ask again...
What happened?
Why are there so many blank spots in the history of Black Americans?
Once we didn't know there were cowboys, and what happened to the free blacks we see from time to time in photographs of the 1800's ?
There has never been any doubt that there are uncountable omissions in the telling of the story of America...
I am beginning to think that it just may be access and use of the internet that will bring many of these obscured stories to light... wouldn't that be something?
Tales of Abolitionists, Librarians, shopkeepers, Travelers, Settlers...
What would happen if we (and I mean the all inclusive "WE" of humankind) could uncover the lost stories and complete the history?
Lets hope we find out soon.
Because it's been too long coming

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does there have to be a racial component?

Why does their have to be a racial component to everything? People in Louisiana are suffering & dying, what the hell difference does it make what colour they are. If we could agree that ALL people are the same not in legislation but in our hearts life would be much better. Yes… simplistic I know but if it is… then why have we not done it?

A Decidedly Black Post- (advice for young lifers! ) part 1 of an exclusive 1,000,000 part Series

That's it friends, . I've finally flipped it! I'm going to keep writing on my favourite subject "Why humans (myself included) are so damn stupid", for a million posts or until the world's problems are solved... or fail to do so! and then... I'm going over to my window, to slide it open and shout... "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore! I've had enough of these life sucking idiots constantly assaulting me with their half-baked ideas about how the world is shaped, conveniently over looking the very basic fact that we should be shaping our world and we would if we could get up off our big fat asses for more than 5 minutes to get involved I can no longer take the endless waste and the resistance to truth that the way we live has brought. So whatcha you gonna do about it ... Mr. Schmarty, pants? well... glad You asked! First we gotta go way back... to take a look at all the crap we refused to give proper c

I can't say for sure...

There may be some kind of reason to this whole thing, logic would be too much to hope for but maybe the world is supposed to do something beside respond to the whims of mankind... I really do want there to be a point... more than wanting, needing, getting. Times like tonight are when the waste of it all gets to me... Fighting over god , money, love, hate, gender , sexuality ...  all so small... and in the end they just take us away from doing anything that moves all of us forward. "all of us" ... funny, there isn't really an "all of us" such a tiny planet and we have never enjoyed peace and prosperity... through all our time there has always been someone that has had to endure incredible hardships to make all the good times possible. Look at all we can do and yet right now in so many places people are dying of hunger... Hunger! How can this be? Money and food everywhere! Or ... is it! Who has enough? What segment of our world has people that have enough?